Monday, October 19, 2015

Knit One Purl One





Hello friends! Happy Monday! It's Election Day in Canada and today Canadians go to the polls to vote for the next Prime Minister.  There seems to be an increased interest in this election and I'm curious to see what the outcome will be.

This past weekend I got the urge to knit.  I don't really know what came over me except that I was scrapbooking a layout with the Simple Stories Sweater Weather Collection and noticed the cute little knit papers and a lightbulb moment came on.  I haven't knit a project since I was in junior high school when I took it as an option class.

In this class, I learned how to make slippers.  Actually, my grandma was the one that taught me how to knit when I was about 8 years old.  I immediately fell in love with it.  Lately it seems that knitting is making a comeback.  I was reading where celebrities enjoy knitting as a form of stress relief and relaxation….sort of a form of meditation.   I really get where they are coming from!

Knitting is awesome! I have always wanted to knit a sweater but I haven't tried it yet.  It's something that doesn't take up a lot of space and it can be picked up anytime.  I have seen people knitting at doctor's appointments.  I don't watch a lot of television unless I have something to work on with my hands or else I fall asleep.  My husband can attest to that!

On Saturday I went over to my local craft store and bought a skein of cotton yarn and some bamboo knitting needles and found a free knitting pattern online.  To my surprise, there are hundreds maybe thousands of free knitting patterns online.

I thought to begin with I would knit a dishcloth.  It is sort of like riding a bike, once you learn to knit, you never really forget.  Here is what I made.


Now I have all these ideas in my head that I want to try.  I think I will make a blanket for my cat.  Now my daughter and my mom want me to teach them.

Before I began scrapbooking in 2001, I used to do a lot of cross-stitching, sew crafty items such as pillows and huge Raggedy Ann Dolls, knit, rug hooking,  ceramics and plastic canvas.  Yes, I have been crafty for most of my life.  Scrapbooking is still my favorite pastime, but it's fun to mix it up.

Thanks for stopping by and hope you have a great day!






1 comment:

  1. I think it is the cooler weather that put you in the knitting mode. I too got bitten by that bug. I knitted myself a scarf and crochet a scarf and now I am working on crocheting an afghan. That should be done in 2050. LOL

    ReplyDelete