Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Coloring Wood Veneers With Gelatos

Hello friends! Today I wanted to share a quick tutorial on how to color your wood veneers with Gelatos.  This was a tutorial I created for design team work at My Creative Scrapbook using the February Main Kit.

Gelatos are wonderful, creamy tubes of artsy goodness, they are similar to a crayon and come in lipstick type tubes. They have a creamy texture and are water soluble. There are many colors and shades of Gelatos to choose from.  I purchased a small kit at my local arts and crafts store.

To begin:

Take your wood veneer embellishment that you would like to color and color the top and sides of your embellishment with the Gelato making sure it is completely covered.  There is no need to color the backside as it will not show when it is adhered to paper.

Please excuse my dirty craft mat.  It has seen better days.  To keep your workspace clean, I suggest using a scrap piece of paper, a craft mat or a paper towel.




With my finger, or a makeup sponge,  go around the wood veneer in a circular motion smudging and smearing the color around until it is completely covered and there is no raw wood showing through. You may do a second coat if you prefer.




Voila! There you have it.  A perfectly colored wood arrow to add to your project!  I love that there is no drying time.

I added this to one of my layouts and added an arrow sticker from the kit and adhered it on top.


 Here is the layout.


I also added a few more examples of wood veneers that I colored in the February Main Kit below.

For the wood veneer word "Love", I colored it in a light blue Gelato and then added some faux stitching with a fine black marker on top of the colored word to give it more texture and interest.


For the large heart wood veneer on the layout below, I colored it with a red gelato.



 Here is the layout.


For the layout below,  I created an ombre effect on the title wood veneer "Hello Love".  I began with the light pink Gelato and colored the top half of the letters and then took a bright pink Gelato and colored the bottom half of the letters.  I really like this fun technique.


Here is the layout.


For the wood veneer heart and tag, I colored the small heart with a light pink Gelato and the tag with a gold Gelato and added some stickers on top of the tag using a strong adhesive to hold the stickers in place.


I hope I have inspired you to try this technique on your wood veneer embellishments.  Thanks for stopping by and have fun!







No comments:

Post a Comment